Tuesday 23 September 2014

Giving a Frack...


(WORK IN PROGRESS - PLEASE IGNORE FOR NOW!)

I seem to have a rather predictable writing style... which is that I set-up my line on something and then attempt to justify or prove it...

But I then tend to fizzle out and give up before my argument gets convincing.

I suppose I should state facts, conclude and leave any decisions up to the reader... but then, what's the point of a Blog if it is not personalised?

I am not writing academic essays here (although, no doubt, I'd make the same failing with those as well!).

Anyway, so on to Fracking.

A Mystery...

Fracking is getting some pretty bad press right now so I don't really need to set up much in the way of a rant to underpin my idea that it is a bad thing.

Unsurprisingly, it is probably getting the worst reports in the U.S.A. right now, as (a) that is where it is being developed the most and (b) the States has a firmly established and active Environmental Movement that provides vocal opposition, at least at a local level.

For me, I am worried about the recent tests that have taken place here in the UK, particularly in Sussex and Lancashire, where an evil seed is being tempted to germinate and grow... a seed that may be very hard to kill off in the future once it established itself.

Unlike many large-scale, dirty industrial methods and techniques, Fracking is not as selective in where it is undertaken. Indeed, it is quite unbiased in that it does not care if the area is affluent or poor, flat or hilly, pretty or ugly... sites can potentially pop-up anywhere if conditions beneath the ground are conducive...

Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty? Perhaps.

A highly-urbanised spot in the Home Counties? Maybe.

A flood plain in the midst of an important agricultural area? Why not?

http://www.foe.co.uk/campaigns/climate/issues/fracking_background_information_33157

The Government gets to call the shots with these kind of projects and Vetos any NIMBY interests with a heavy-hand.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23730308

http://www.foe.co.uk/get_involved/fracking_petition_41121?ic_number=45953882&m_sourcecode=LM1401131&product=CAMP&utm_source=lyris&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email&MID=2976764&hq_e=el&hq_m=2976764&hq_l=4&hq_v=c7e9779773

Earthquakes?

xx

Desperation? Are there alternatives?

xx

////

I'LL GET BACK TO THIS LATER! SORRY!

No comments:

Post a Comment